Thursday 29 November 2012

A Touch of Frost; A Little Bit of Snow

I am absolutely sick of cleaning.  I hate it.  I have been mucking out bedrooms, scrubbing damp walls and sucking up cobwebs for three days solid.  I have had enough.  I need something beautiful in my life.  As usual, mother nature came to the rescue..

This morning when I opened the blinds in the kitchen, while feeding the dogs and putting the kettle on to boil, the promise of a beautiful day met my eyes.  It was only a promise as the sun was casting a pale orange glow behind the mountains and everything was in silhouette, but there were no clouds, no wind and no rain.

As the sun climbed a tiny bit higher in the sky, she revealed a very light frost had touched the countryside in the night.  H2 was thrilled to find it crunched when he walked over grass on the way to school.  Only a bit, but it crunched!

I took the dogs into the field and enjoyed the silence as they sniffed up all the night scents; nose to the ground, tails held high, making tracks in the white grass.  It may seem a bit over the top to get so excited about such a small thing as a light frost, but we don't get frost that much here.  In fact when we arrived on the island eight years ago, local children had hardly ever seen frost or snow.  It's a bit different now!  And there was snow!  Not here, not yet, but it's on the mountains.  Look!

 This is Snowdon an hour ago.  We can certainly feel the chill coming off it!

And it's so pretty!  I love snow.  I love being wrapped up in chunky warm scarves and gloves, I love tramping through it on country walks and best of all, I love coming home to a warm house and a mug of steaming hot chocolate, marshmallows and whipped cream.  Oh, and lighting a candle or two to add to the cosy feeling.  I made these yesterday.

Lovely aren't they?  The smell of pure beeswax is so warm and natural, but Pea doesn't like it.  She is no judge of beauty in my opinion anyway.  In the summer I bought a gorgeous floral scented pot- pourri that filled the house with a subtle but delightful smell of flowers and new blossoms.  Pea came home and said 'God what's that stink?  Have you de-flead the dog?'  Charming.

I am busy stocking up on wax and chocolate at the moment, ready for my melting epic next week.  After almost four days of house work, and more to come tomorrow, I think I deserve to get back to craft.  I am a bent, wizened shadow of my former self - but I have a nice clean cottage.  Was it worth it?  Hmmm...No.  Puppy has spent his morning shredding a tennis ball on the dining room carpet, chewing Lego and digging a hole in the flower bed outside the back door.  I hope nobody comes to visit in the dark, they may take a wrong turn and fall in.

Keep cosy and thank you for reading. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment