Sunday 18 November 2012

Vintage Sewing Machine Love (or not)

I love my Jones sewing machine, but there are times when my lack of knowledge and experience leads to real frustration...

Like yesterday, I had all my gorgeous red and white fabrics at the ready, pinned and raring to go.  I almost did myself an injury lifting my machine off the floor and onto the table, it is so heavy.  I warned everyone not to ask questions or want anything while I was trying to concentrate; it's fair to say I am a bit scared of it and need every tiny little brain cell I possess, to be able to actually thread it in the first place!

Anyway, I remembered some good advice mum gave me some years ago - always practise on a bit of scrap fabric first, so as not to chew up precious creations before they even become anything.  So I did.  All was well.  Phew.  I carefully placed the first heart to be stitched under the foot and began.  Within a nano-second the top thread snapped.  Oh. I tried again, same thing.  Huh.  And again.  What? Something was most definitely not right here.  I'm fairly certain that shouldn't be happening.  I rang mum, well what is a girl to do?  She suggested the tension may be wrong, or needle size amongst other things I didn't really understand.  I gave it all a go but with no change.  In the end I had to admit defeat and walk away and leave it.  I am fortunate to have a room that I can leave everything out and shut the door.

It saved me from hurling the whole thing into the garden.

Anyway, today is another day and I decided to try a slightly smaller needle and what do you know?  It worked!  Poor machine, having an idiot like me driving it.  It is very special to me as it was a wedding present from my nan to mum and dad, over 40 years ago.  Mum made absolutely everything for us three children, herself and our home.  When Pea was about 4, I had an urge to make her a dress, so mum gave me her Jones sewing machine.  I admit I was far too scared of it, so I made Pea's dress by hand and have been sewing in this way ever since, on and off.  It has moved with us to each new home as I could never part with it, even though I didn't use it.  In our last home, it spent 4 years in a damp, cold garage.

One day I decided to get it out and try to slay my demons.  I scraped the maggot off, wiped the dust and plugged it in.  It purred along like a kitten.  I fell in love with it and kept it in the house and vowed to use it as much as possible.  It only really does straight stitch forward and backwards, but that's just fine with me.  It is warm and cosy in the cottage and oiled (fairly) regularly.

So, back to the hearts.  I whizzed through them easily and what a joy it was.  No sweat, no tears, no bad language.  I finished the first one as a trial to see how it looked.  I'm very pleased, what do you think?

In case you are wondering, 'Diolch' means 'thank you' in Welsh.  I may have said before (or maybe didn't), these hearts are for my little niece to give to her teachers and helpers at her school for Christmas.  I have left some space for her to write her own message too.  They have turned out quite large, about 6 inches tall!  When all 6 are on the tree they will probably pull it over!

The other 5 are ready to be stuffed and finished off.  Do you remember the bells?  This is their destination.  I hope they make their new owners smile.

I definitely prefer hand sewing, as I love the handmade look and the time and love that goes into it.  It's much easier to hand sew on the settee while watching a film and being kept warm by 2 snoozing dogs.  I find it more relaxing and easier to stay in control!  Maybe that's my problem!

Anyway, I am very pleased to have sorted it out and will start using it again now, after a couple of years break.  There is nothing to say you can't do both.

However you sew, create, bake, garden or just dream about it, enjoy it!

Thank you for reading, have a lovely evening. xxx

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Jones for behaving and helping Karla produce gorgeous hearts! They r perfect,so unique.Diolch diolch diolch. Regarding Pinterest, I should imagine you know more than I do,sorry blodyn. Is there anybody else out there that could enlighten us on the workings of Pinterest! Tara for now,must try and get C to bed, shes too busy to sleep! X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, I'm very glad you are happy with them! I will try to finish them this week and then K can bring them home on Monday. Diolch blodyn tatws! xxx

      Delete