Thursday 13 December 2012

Winter Warmer

Another crisp frost covered the countryside this morning.  Ice glittered where water once lay and the hedgerows and fields sparkled in their festive decorations.


By lunch time the frost had melted under the winter sun.  I took the dogs into the field and the sun felt warm and I was only wearing two jumpers!  The Redwings, over here for the holidays, felt it too as they darted about above my head.  Jackdaws have been jumping about on the chimney pots over the last few days; the sound reverberating through the cottage.  It scares the living daylights out of you until you realise what it is.  They are probably checking out potential nesting sites ready for Spring, but I bet they are having fun too.  And yes, there was a feeling of Spring out there in the field.  We have the hardest months of the year to get through first but the knowledge that Spring will come helps us all; animal and human alike.  Mother Nature knows what she's doing and where she leads I follow.  She gave me permission to get excited about it!


Back to the present and Christmas presents - I finally finished this stocking to a much more pleasing standard and sent it off today.  Pea helped a lot by unpicking it, then I cut off the foot part, re-drew the pattern, cut out more fabric, patched it and sewed it all back together.  It took the best part of the day, but was sooo worth it.  I'm really happy with it and felt comfortable sending it off.  It is quite big and thick and feels really nice to hold!  I stitched the baby boy's name and year on the inside, so he will always know it is his and the year he had it made for him.  So no matter how hard he tries to forget and pretend it isn't his, he won't be able to! 


So now I can concentrate on family and Christmas and have a little time to think of future non-Christmas related crafting.  It's a bit odd really; normally I am holding onto Christmas with every fibre of my being, not wanting it to end and getting a bit tearful when it does.  Not so this year, though I can't work out why.  I'm happy about it coming, being with my children, not doing much, enjoying the peace, but I find I am also quite content in the knowledge that it will end.  I am looking forward to developing an idea I have with candles; using lighter fabrics; Spring influenced colours and trying a new craft. 



Next week will be partly devoted to cookie and chocolate making.  And quite possibly more tears and tantrums too!

Have a lovely day and as Bill and Ted once said, Be Excellent to Each Other! xxx

1 comment:

  1. Wow! thank u so much. No more babies due for a while so i'll give u a rest! hi hi! lots of love,Row x x

    ReplyDelete