Monday 24 December 2012

We Wish You a Merry Christmas!

This is it, it's almost here!  After months of planning, weeks of panic and hard work, it's all done and now we can sit back, relax and let it happen.  Give yourselves a big hug for being so amazing.

There is however, no snow, which would have made it perfect for so many of us, and at the very least a diversion.  Instead we have yet more relentless rain.  How much more water can the land take?  In many parts of the country, not much, I imagine is the answer.  On the island though we seem to be managing quite well.  The fields are water logged in places and  have formed vast lakes in others.  The animals are becoming mud-caked and bedraggled.  Farmers are working hard to feed them hay as the grass has been trodden into mud, but thankfully it is reasonably mild so at least they don't have to cope with biting cold too.

We took the dogs for a walk this morning, before it started to rain again.  Fortunately no one complained this time as I warned him not to!  The promise of hot chocolate and mince pies on our return kept him going.  The countryside was sodden, dark and bleak - but I love it like that!  It was lovely to see how people are caring for their sheep and horses out there in the fields.  Back home with two soaked and filthy dogs to clean and a pile of wellies by the back door, we thought of the ponies who live next door. They have been taken out of their field and put in the barn so they are cosy and dry.  Pea and H2 decided to give them a Christmas groom and some apples and carrots.


Outside may be dismal and most un-Christmassy, but indoors it is snug and cheerful.  This is what it's all about for me.  I love making a cosy home and keeping my children warm.  When they were little, I would make them a 'nest' on the settee with blankets, pillows and quilts.  I would make them a hot drink and put a favourite DVD on.  Perfect days.  Now they make their own nests and sometimes they make me a hot drink!  I hope they will always remember their nests and maybe make them for their children and snuggle them up by the fire and fill their homes with a little Christmas magic, all year round.

It's lovely to be home and spend time doing the things we enjoy, without there being a reason.  H1 did some drawing while Pea and I indulged and H1 watched Muppet's Christmas Carol.  Again.


Yesterday I had a little Christmas party for my family.  There are not many of us but as my poor sister is in bed at home with 'flu, there were even less than usual.  The cakes and mince pies were left over from the party. Mum and my sister-in-law both brought food with them, bless, so there was plenty to go round, even with four starving children.  My niece wore her gorgeous bridesmaids dress for a while, then changed into outdoor gear, country-girl style, for a turn round the field and later changed into her nightie, which is more Fairy Princess than Wee Willie Winkie.  She then played hide-and-seek with H2 and eventually roped her mam, dad and me into finding them!  Any one with small children will know what a joy it is to play the same game over and over and over...She became more delighted and excited each time and kept shouting 'Eto! Eto!' which is Welsh for 'Again! Again!'  Really? Oh dear.
The dogs were well behaved and the whole experience wore Puppy out.  He was still asleep at 8.30 this morning.  Now I know what to do when he is being a pain - have a party.

Well all that remains is for me to wish you all a very Happy, Cosy and Peaceful Christmas.  I hope Santa/ Sion Corn brings you all everything you dream of and thank you for taking the time out of your busy lives to visit Windy Island Handmade.

Happy Christmas.  Nadolig Llawen. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment