Saturday 14 September 2013

Packing It All In

It is a whole week since I wrote my last blog post.  Sorry about that, though I expect it is the way things will be for the next few weeks whilst I pack away our home into boxes and prepare to move into our new home.  The week has been spent sorting, cleaning, getting rid of and finally wrapping up and packing away everything we possess. I thought this time it would be quick and easy as it is only just over a year since we moved in here, but somehow we have amassed and accumulated and some things just have to move on to find their new homes.  It is quite refreshing to see things go and it leaves me feeling lighter and cleaner and ready to move ahead.

September is my favourite month of the year; full of mists and mellow fruitfulness supposedly.  Not so this year, or at least not yet and not on the island.  It feels as though September got forgotten about and the season just jumped ahead to the end of October.  We have had lots of fog and rain and very chilly nights.  The sun is out today thankfully and I am making the most of a sea breeze by hanging out a line full of washing.  After a day of dull and boring packing, my wind down and escape time has seen me glued to Pinterest.  I have created 18 boards now and am focusing on winter and all its gorgeousness!  Autumn has failed to deliver so far, so let's get excited about winter.  At least we know that little chestnut won't disappoint.

My friend and I were talking about winter yesterday and the inevitable happened...we started talking about you-know-what.  Yup, CHRISTMAS!  The moment a bit of cold weather comes our way and the children are back in school after the summer holidays, we start babbling on about hot chocolate, keeping warm, roast beef and Yorkshire puddings, mince pies, presents and evenings spent wrapped up in a cosy blanket by the fire with a cup of scalding hot tea and a jolly good book.  Oh I do hate the cold but I do love keeping warm!  Pinterest has been really inspirational for me.  I have gleaned ideas for my home, feeding my family, ways to dress, everything.  I think I may be an addict, but I really don't care.  The pictures of snow are enough to send me into meltdown and anything with a pair of mittens, a roaring fire and a mug of hot cocoa has me re-pinning like a mad thing.

I did find time today to start on my Christmas present making.  As usual all my family gifts will be homemade; some are already done, some are in progress (like the above) and some are still in my head as ideas.  Once we have moved house and settled down, I can really get stuck in.  I had planned to make our Christmas cake this month, but I think it would be better to wait now; it will be one thing less to pack and move and besides, most of my baking things are already in boxes somewhere...

I am having to lay the law down a bit with the boys.  Our new home is smaller than they are used to, so there will be no room for leaving stuff lying about.  A small home is harder to keep tidy, I think, and one or two things on the floor will make the whole place look like a midden.  So I'm not having it.  They are far too old now to have me running about clearing up after them.  I will have enough to do and I am not encouraging sloppy behaviour in my gorgeous children.  Part of the problem is that the boys spend too much time on those blessed game things.  It drives me mad.  They plug their earphones in and completely zone out.  I get no sense from them and half the time they are like zombies.  They have to be reminded to do the simplest things, like close the door when it is cold, open the bedroom curtains when it is light, don't leave crumbs all over the kitchen and put dirty clothes in the wash basket provided and NOT LEAVE THEM ALL OVER THE FLOOR! You see?  It's ridiculous.  I am giving them fair warning and telling them how it will be and if they don't like it, well we will see what happens then.

 I am at last settling down to the idea of moving home and actually getting quite excited about it.  There are things and people here that I will miss very much but our new home will have other benefits, new scenery, new wildlife and new people and we are only a few miles away, so we can visit and be visited by those we miss.

There is a big cardboard box in the shed and I can hear it calling me to fill it up with books.  First I'm having a cup of tea!

Enjoy your weekend and thank you for reading. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment