Friday 20 September 2013

Diary of a Homemover

Friday 20th September, 2.28pm. 

 Taking a break from packing today.   Felt as though I would commit some terrible crime if I carried on with the thankless task, so for a bit of light relief I went back to Welsh language class.  Had a blast!  Remembered more than I thought I would, and apart from the odd moment of empty brain syndrome all went well.   I took a packet of chocolate biscuits and a box of tea bags and the class jam maker gave everyone jars of his homemade plum jam. 



Translating the above page and working out which word filled the gap kept us busy for a while.  My friend and I were doing well until we arrived at one sentence that seemed straight forward enough.  We believed it said 'I slipped on the way to school and went through the roof.'  Hmm, didn't seem quite right somehow.  Neither of us were any the wiser and we fell about laughing at our own stupidity.  After a few moments of mirth, Babs our tutor translated it as 'I fell off the ladder whilst mending the roof.'  Oh.   We got the roof bit right...well we got the word right.



Kept awake most nights by images of furry rodents scuttling about in the garden of our new home. Very tired this week due to having to deliver H1 to the train station just after six on Tuesday morning.  Up at five for the event.  Tiring day spent packing, sleepless night due to rodent dreams.  All day Wednesday I tidied, cleaned and packed then drove along dark, lonely roads at eleven at night to pick H1 up from the station again.  Got into bed at midnight and fell fast asleep.  Woke early with my brain sending ghastly flashes of muscular rats eating their way through the house.  I absolutely loathe and detest rodents.  The rats go round with flick-knives hidden down their boots and have 'Bite' and 'Me' tattooed on their knuckles.  They have a no-fear attitude and smile before clobbering you with a baseball bat.  Their smaller cousins are not much better.  Mice can dress it up in a cuter outfit, but the jewel in their crown of weapons is their ability to jump out at you when you least expect it.  They will lie in wait until the very last second and then leap about three feet in the air and scare the living daylights out of you.   These nocturnal cerebral wanderings of mine are doing nothing for my temper or state of sanity.




Tension permeating through the house now.  Pea will only eat fruit and some vile brown bread that she makes.   She stands guard over the solid lump and won't let anyone near it, not that it appeals to anyone else anyway.  The boys argue and bicker all day long.  H2 getting stroppy which is not like him at all.  Puppy trots round the house as if he is on springs; he has adopted a bossy attitude and pushes his long nose into anything and everything.  If he doesn't get the attention that he thinks he deserves, he gnaws on things; furniture, clothes, books, us.  MAL hates the whole moving process.  She curls up in a corner and tries to pretend it's not happening.


Wish I could do the same thing.

At least it's weekend.  I am going to the house tomorrow to measure things and look at empty space and try to visualise our stuff in it.  Boys have to start packing as they've done nothing yet.

Hope I don't have another mouse infested dream tonight. 

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment