Wednesday 25 September 2013

Diary Of A Homemover

Wednesday September 25th, 11.19am.

'To do' lists get longer every day.  Hardly ever scribble anything off  but seem to be merrily adding to them by the hour. Yesterday was my birthday, but we didn't celebrate.  Not really in the right frame of mind; the house is a mess and it is not a relaxing atmosphere in which to share one's birthday frivolities.  It will wait a few weeks.




Saturday dawned dull and foggy.  Pea and I went to the new house to sort a few bits out; important bits like how to work the central heating and hot water and what I have to do to make the telly work, (vitally important according to the boys).  The house looked so cosy nestled amongst the trees in the swirling mist.  It feels very calm and homely and I become more and more certain of our happiness in that house each time I visit.  The boys stayed at home to start their packing.  Amazingly by the time we arrived home they had actually done quite a lot.  They made more mess in the process though...



Sunday morning arrived and brought with it a hefty dose of cabin fever.  Cracked the whip somewhat and got everyone organised and managed to achieve a decent amount in a short time.  Pea looked very tired and rather cheesed off so we all got in the car and drove round the lanes where we will soon be living.  The happy discovery of a woodland walk put the roses back in Pea's cheeks and the boys sat silently in the back with contented grins on their faces.  We returned home almost ready to carry on with the job in hand.

After a rather odd lunch of tinned soup, vegetarian cheese things and potato wedges, the removal man turned up.  Oh thank goodness!  Must admit to getting a tad worried at his silence but thankfully he didn't let me down.  All arranged now for The Big Day.

Rang a man I know at tea time to ask if I could have some boxes.  The amount we are getting through is staggering.  My dining room looks like a badly organised jumble sale...


Scoured the charity shops yesterday in search of curtains for new home.  I needed four pairs to begin with.  The kitchen and bathroom windows are quite small so I'm planning on making something for them.  As time goes by I can replace the charity shop curtains with something more to our taste, however I got all four pairs and a spare (just in case!) for £16.  Jolly pleased with that.  Could really do with some warm, dry days now to wash and dry them ready for hanging.

Things slowly starting to click into place and there is a tiny glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.  Still a stack of stuff to organise and get through but it's happening at last.  After dropping off a pile of books and games to a village charity shop yesterday, I saw a young man of 25 who I have known for a while.  I told him it was my birthday..

Young Man:  'How old are you? 26?'
Me:  'No you fool, I'm 44!'
Young Man: 'No way! I would never have thought you were that old!'
Me: (Not quite sure how to take that.  OK, I will take it as a compliment.)
Young Man:  'I'm surprised you haven't got a toy boy yet.  You could easily go out with someone much younger and because of the way you look, no one would notice the age difference.'
Me: 'Oh you are so sweet, thank you very much.  Would you like to marry me and live on a farm and keep hens?'  (Actually I didn't say that last bit.)
Young Man: 'You're dead fit and I think I'm in love with you.' (Actually he didn't say that bit either.)

He gave me a hug, said happy birthday and we parted.  Really made my day did that.  Just shows you have to take your ups where you can.

Having a craving for chocolate today.  Nothing new there, then.  Sadly all the marzipan has gone and there is nothing to replace it.  I am not buying much food at the moment as I don't want to fill the cupboards prior to moving.  The freezer has to be emptied and defrosted pretty soon too.  I can feel the bile rising in my throat..must try to relax...It's all too much, much too much...I just want to be in our new home and go to sleep with some chocolate and a nice cosy toy boy...Sorry, slipping into melt down now so time for a cup of tea and a sit down.

Midday.

The consumption of a mini pork pie and three bags of crisps has done nothing for my chocolate craving.  Not enough petrol in car to justify a nine mile round trip to the shop.  I am a woman on the edge...

xxx


1 comment:

  1. Impressive work. i love to spend my good time here. i like the way you are working on this blog..
    Internet based Beds Company

    ReplyDelete