Tuesday 26 February 2013

Where Women Create

I have always been interested and inspired by the spaces we make around ourselves in order to create to our full potential.  I like to peek over garden walls to see what flowers, fruit and vegetables people grow, how they lay it all out, have they got neatly mown lawns or small, rough areas?  Is it for wildlife or growing families?  Have they got a plant that I would love to grow in my garden?  I would be the same on the insides of people's houses, if I could get a good look without being arrested..


So a few years ago I discovered and bought this book.  It is full of pictures and mini interviews with the women who have made incredible spaces in which to do their creative work.  Some I love and some I do not, but each one is as individual as the woman who made it and she made it for herself, and that is all that matters.



Looking at my own creative space, I realised it is far from worthy of being photographed for a beautiful book, and I share it with the rest of the family and their clutter, but the light in there is perfect and it has lovely views of the sea!  I wonder if you would like to have a look?  Don't get too excited, it is only a table and a cupboard at one end of a room!



It does look a bit messy; sorry about that.  I have my fabrics and papers in the cupboard, all to hand when I need them...

A flowery mug full of buttons...

My pincushion and a glass dish with tape measures and other bits and bobs I may need at some point...

The sweetie jar my nan gave me many years ago; sweets all gone, it is now a home to ribbons, (which look as good as sweets any day!).

Knitting needles and scissors held in a Golden Syrup tin and a handful of coloured pencils in an old mug, waiting for the moment they will be needed.

There is also quite a bit of other stuff, that doesn't belong to me.  Stuff that I usually have to climb over or grab from Puppy's mouth as he gleefully chews away, or rescue from the vacuum cleaner as it clatters into the pipes.  Yep, you guessed, it's LEGO!  Nooooo!

One day I will miss it, I'm sure.  Not just yet though.

I hope you enjoy your creative spaces, however large or small and where ever they may be.  Let me know what you love about yours.

Have a lovely day and thank you for reading. xxx

1 comment:

  1. Yours is a lot tidier than mine! I like that I can hear the birds in the garden I am surrounded by many pieces of paper and ribbon at the moment, photos I have taken and my "dare to fail" picture of a an elephant being hold up by a giant ping balloon on a trapeze. beautifully sunny here in Beaumaris hope it is there too x

    ReplyDelete