Monday 18 February 2013

A Really Gorgeous Day.

When I awoke yesterday morning at 7.20, there was a curious glow coming through the drawn curtains.  I leaped out of bed with a grin on my face and drew back the curtains...Yes!  The sun was out again!  Oh happy day!  The whole cottage was flooded with gentle sunlight, lifting colours and spirits alike.  I crept outside in my pyjamas to watch the sun rise over the mountains.  The perfect start to the day.

It is such a joy to be able to take photographs in sunlight after all these months of darkness.  Things seem to take on a new life and really sing out while still maintaining their softness.  I am not someone who goes a bundle on strong colours, I am pastel and I love it!

After spending a while gazing at beautiful things, we all wandered into the garden, to hang washing on the line, play with the dogs or just take in the views.  It was still pretty cold but the sun was out!  I know I keep saying it, but it seems such a long time since we felt this excited and we want to enjoy every moment as rain and damp will come again soon enough.  Spring is coming!  Yippee!

Yesterday was a special day for another reason too. H1 turned 14.  Blimey, that went fast.  Not long ago he was a gorgeous bundle of baby, wrapped in a beautiful shawl that my nan knit for him.  Now, he is taller than I am, he has a sense of humour that takes us off guard and reduces us to giggling heaps in a second, he is gaining in quiet confidence and becoming aware that he is really good at certain things, and he loves his puppy.  He is amazing and I am very proud of him.

When I asked him, a week ago, what he would like for his birthday dinner, he said 'Junk food!'.  Oh, ok then, easy done.  We purchased enough frozen items of rubbish to feed several large teenagers for a week and I also set about making him a cake.  It went wrong from the start.  I think I kept being distracted by the views from my kitchen window, but my pastry collapsed and I had to scrape chunks of it off the inside of the tin where it was too thick and also the inside of the oven.  The icing was too runny and the pale blue colour went a bit sickly looking.  I tried to hide it with cherries, sugar snowflakes and coconut, but it still looked a bit sad.

I was a bit upset and showed it to H1, apologising for mucking up his birthday cake.  He looked and said it was the most awesome cake ever and it looked dead cool, then he hugged me and said thank you.  Aw bless!  That's alright then!  It did taste rather good, though I say so myself.  After all our junk food, Pea and I couldn't manage cake as well, but the boys did, of course.  I had mine later with a cup of tea, in the garden.  The first of many cups of tea in the garden , I hope.

And now the children are back in school after a week of half-term.  We're on countdown til the Easter holls!

I hope the sun shines on you and fills your day with happiness.  Thank you for dropping by. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment