Saturday 12 January 2013

Fog, Paper, Ribbons.

The first week of normality after Christmas and the New Year is now over.  It's weekend!  The week has given us some very strange weather, but not the snow we were promised.  Booo!  The other evening we watched mist rise from the fields.  The air was completely still and hardly a sound could be heard.  We half expected to see Edwardian ghosts drift across the ground towards us.  They didn't, which was a bit disappointing really.





You may remember my resolution to buy as many of my crafting materials from charity shops as possible during the year and to make birthday presents and cards, without buying new things to make them with.  My first challenge is upon me as mum's birthday is looming on the horizon.  She always worries about us buying her a present, as it is so soon after Christmas, but that is hardly her fault and you can't not give a person a present just because it happens to be right after the major present-giving time of year.  If you see what I mean.  Anyway, I will be making her something using things already in my possession, thus ridding mum of her guilt ( I haven't spent any money) and sticking to my pledge (I haven't bought new things).  I have been practising a bit of paper cutting too, which I must say I am really enjoying!




It is a bit tricky at times and I spend a lot of time reminding myself not to bite my tongue off while I am concentrating, but it is strangely relaxing and completely different to the other crafts I indulge in.  Getting the right knife to suit is crucial as you have to be comfortable with it in your hand.  I have tried two so far and I am sticking with my X-ACTO knife.  The blades are really sharp and a little worrying, so being mindful of where you are waving it is obviously important.  I prefer to use thin card or slightly thicker paper than normal copier paper, as it doesn't tear so readily.  Being a novice, this saves me from bursting into tears and throwing it all in the bin, if a tear accidentally occurs. I am all for making life easier, where possible.

Next week mum and I are going to a car boot sale in Y Fali.  It isn't really a car boot sale, more a giant second hand market.  I have only been once before and found it rather good.  There are people selling handmade items; genuine vintage patterns, lace and clothes; fabrics from their own over grown stash; china; glass and of course a right load of rubbish.  You have to be prepared to see past all that and just home in on the decent stuff that you know you will use and want.  I bought a gorgeous china pot with wildflowers painted on it.  I made a candle in it and sold it in Bab's shop!  This time I am on the hunt for ribbons!



I am a bit bonkers about ribbons, but I'm not just buying them for the sake of it, there is a reason.  I have an idea...but that is all I can say for now!  It may take a while to get it to the stage where I can tell you about it, but I'm hoping you will like it when I do. In the meantime, I will be working hard and turning my ideas into reality and hopefully having some fun at the same time!  Keep your eyes peeled when you are out and about, you never know what you may find.


Have a lovely day, snow, rain or sun and enjoy being thrifty, saving money and the planet! xxx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karla, 4th attempt! Love your blog and now can't wait for my b'day! xxxm

    ReplyDelete