Thursday 4 September 2014

Rolling Boil

So that's it; the Summer holls are finally and most definitely over.  School started yesterday and I sent my three children off dressed in their cardboard-like brand new uniforms, dragging their bags and looking miserable.  The dogs and I walked to the end of the track to wave them off in the taxi and then we went for a sniff round the garden; well I just watched while the dogs sniffed.  The day loomed long and silent before me, but there was no time for stalling, work beckoned and after eating my cereal standing at the kitchen door, I got on with it.




Cleaning the house is so much easier when there is no one else in it to get in the way.  By eleven I had made beds, hoovered, swept the kitchen floor and hung out three loads of washing on the line.  Pea and I had started making courgette chutney the day before and left it to stand in the vinegar for 24 hours.  It needed boiling and bottling, so I left it simmering away on the stove and wandered up the track in search of a bowl full of blackberries.  Even though it is only very early September, most of the blackberries have gone over or just gone.  A few weeks ago, we couldn't pick them all as there were so many; the branches weighed down by the heavy clusters of fruit.  Now the few that remain are beyond their best and taste watery, but stewed with half a Bramley I found in the fridge, they made a very respectable pie for tea.  I wanted to make a good tea for the children to come home to, as I guessed H2 would hardly eat all day for nerves.  I decided on salmon, boiled potatoes from the garden, vegetables and parsley sauce, followed by hot blackberry and apple pie and ice cream.  I wonder if I will still want to cook like this when I am working?  Best not to think about it.



By 3.20 I was standing at the door, eagerly awaiting their arrival home.  I had been thinking of H2 all day and wondering how he was getting on.  Going to senior school is one of the biggest changes in a young child's life.  It is terrifying and exhausting but I was really hoping he would have had a good day and come home tired but happy.  I heard the car pull up and the slow trudge of three pairs of feet on the track.  There was silence and I realised that wasn't a very good sign.  H2 appeared first;  he looked fed up.  Good day? I enquired.  S'alright, he said, sighed heavily and then, God, I hate school, and went in the house.  Oh dear.  Pea walked down the drive with scarlet cheeks and black eyes flashing in her small face.  Oh good Lord, I thought.  She looked like she could throttle someone at any moment, anyone would do so I smiled and got out of the way.  She is quite scary when she's like that.  She mumbled something about school sucking and went indoors.  Two down one to go.  H2 appeared with a pale face and red eyes.  My heart went out to him and I hugged him as the words he had held in all day tumbled in a rush to come out.  It's horrible, he whispered.  I was perfectly happy in my class and I'd filled in my book really neatly and then some random woman came in and said I had to move to a different class and I hate it, every body's really loud, I can't do my work properly and it's just awful.  I held on to him and he shed a few quiet tears.  The exhaustion is overwhelming as I remember.  After a few moments he shuffled off to get changed and later I found his uniform in a corner of his bedroom in a ball.  That's what he thinks of that!

Tea worked it's magic as we all sat round the table and they ate silently for a few moments.  The day's events unfolded and there were one or two glimpses of hope among it all.  The general feeling was that they wish they could stay home all the time and not bother with school at all.  Sorry guys, that won't happen.  Kind of wish it would myself though.  H2 spent most of his evening watching telly and now and then getting up to give me a hug.  Reassurrance needed.  We talked when he wanted and I promised him that tomorrow would be better and Friday even more so.  He went off to bed if not happily then at least a little calmer.  H1 calmed down quite quickly and it transpired that he was annoyed because he has to do PE and they always do football, which he has no interest in whatsoever and would much rather do badminton.  I reminded him that he had done extremely well in his first few GCSE's and should concentrate on them and not worry about PE.  He was thrilled to get an A* in Resistant Materials, his favourite subject; a B in science which he loathes and a C in IT.  Extremely well done young man.  Now keep it up.

I'm not entirely sure that I ever got to the bottom of Pea's grievances, but she cheered up quite quickly anyway.  After tea we all washed up and then Pea and I took Middle Aged Labrador for an early evening walk.  The air was warm and the light soft and diffused as only September can give.  The leaves are turning quickly now and farmers work hard to get grass cut and baled.  Fields are dotted with huge rolls of hay waiting to be taken in before the weather finally turns.  The hedges are loaded with hawthorn bushes weighed down with scarlet berries like small round beads threaded onto their black branches.  The beauty is every where.

The weatherman says we are in for a mini Summer over the next few weeks and this morning seemed to be the start of it.  By lunch time it was hot and sticky.  Mum and I went for a walk on the beach after dropping off my library book and buying a few You-Know-What presents.  Most of the holiday makers have gone home to resume their lives, go back to work and school and family.  The beaches and lanes are almost empty again for the remaining few to enjoy in peace and quiet.  I felt as though I was bunking off school as I walked slowly along the beach in bare feet.  The sand was hard and warm and there was hardly a ripple on the sea as the tide meandered in, slowly, lazily, no rush.  Stolen moments out of real life.

Only one more day before the weekend and hopefully the sun will shine so I can take the children down to the beach for a well deserved paddle.  Every day life happens, sometimes it's good and sometimes not, so I think it is important if not vital to have as many small moments of escapism as is humanly possible.  It makes the mundane more bearable and gives us something to look forward to when times are tough.  The best thing about the beach as a treat is that it's free.  You can be yourself on the beach, no one cares or notices what you do or what you think.  You can be noisy or quiet, laugh or just sit and look, it doesn't matter.  It's one of my favourite things to do and I always feel refreshed, relaxed and more positive after a walk by the waves.  I didn't grow up next to the sea so I am completely aware of how utterly lucky my children and I are to be here.  I never take it for granted and I hope they never do either.

The children will be home in less than and hour, so I had better go and roast some veg for tea as no doubt they will all be starving when they come in.  I am hopeful that H2 at least will have had a much better day.  All I want is to see his gorgeous round face lit up with it's usual smile.  My life will be complete and everything right with the world.

I hope your children are settling happily into school life and don't forget - it's nearly weekend! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment