Saturday 22 June 2013

Pottering About

Yesterday was a dull, chilly and damp day.  It would have been perfect for staying home, reading, baking and drinking tea, but we had Plans with a capital 'P'; we were going to spend the day at a pottery.  As it turned out, said pottery is located only a short drive from our home down narrow, windy lanes and nestled in beautiful, wild countryside.  Oh yes, this I was looking forward to.

Not only has Richard Daniels been our pottery class tutor for the last two Fridays, but he is also the owner of the most gorgeous home and work place anyone could wish for.  He very kindly allowed the 7 of us to spend the day in his workshop, splash around with glazes and poke about.  When we arrived my jaw fell open as I beheld yet another glorious country dwelling.  What a place, what a location!  We drove into a courtyard surrounded by outbuildings that have been converted by Richard and his wife over the years to accommodate his passion for pottery.  Beautifully tended plants shone from every corner and a wealth of character whispered to you to look closer.  To be honest, my desire to create more pots had dried up a little on arriving and I just wanted to walk round on my own, take photos and day dream.


Fortunately, Richard was kind enough to let me do just that, and I must say I had a lot of fun!

But we were there to glaze our pots and the other items of gorgeousness we had been busy crafting over the last two weeks, so I put my camera down eventually and got on with it.  Pottery, like many crafts, is a labour of love and takes time from initial idea to completed product, so the things we glazed yesterday will have to be fired again before we can actually get our hands on them.  I glazed my dad's Three-legged-stargazing-pig half in a yellow-brown and half in some other colour that I can't actually remember, so the result will most definitely be a surprise!  Most of the glazes are quite manly and dark, where I am a girly girl and love pastels, so I was delighted that Richard had a peach glaze.  I have no idea what colour it will end up being as he didn't have an example to show us, so that will be a surprise too.

Richard is extremely enthusiastic about his craft and is obviously very skilled and talented.  He is a larger than life character with a respected reputation earned through hard work and diligence.  Anyone with a love of pottery would enjoy spending time in his company.  If you want to take a peek at his work, you can visit his website creigiaumawrpottery.co.uk.  There is plenty to go at and well worth a look.

Pea and I had to return home to fetch H2 from school, so we left the others still painting, laughing and learning and off we went back down the lanes that were new to us only a week ago but are, even now, starting to feel like home.  The untamed romantic in me very satisfied with this new discovery.

Thank you Richard for sharing your home and your passion with us. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment