Monday 13 May 2013

Lady of Leisure? No, Indeed!

I recently found myself on the receiving end of the worst insult since I left my husband over three years ago. He was the King of Insults and is fully entitled to the accolade, if you ask me.  But this came as something of a shock and the only reason the person delivering it still has all his teeth intact and isn't walking around with an axe buried in his cerebral cortex is because he is really rather delicious.




But there are limits.  I simmered for a day or two, then started to wonder why the term Lady of Leisure got me so wound up in the first place.  It is after all, a euphemism for A Woman Who Does B... All, which is not flattering.  But I suppose it depends how you say it; A Lady of Leisure implies the person is a lazy slob, eats crisps in her dressing-gown at ten in the morning and feeds her children on chicken nuggets every day.  A Lady of Leisure, however, completely changes the view and leaves you with an image of a woman in full control of her life, who devotes her time to making a beautiful home, gorgeous food, a welcoming atmosphere and who is always delightful company.  Her only aim in life is to make sure everyone who enters her warm bubble is happy, content and feels they never want to leave.



Sounds like hard work to me.  But maybe I should put my axe away for now, just in case the term was kindly meant...

Over the weekend I was struck with a migraine, (probably brought on by thoughts of axes and heads) but I battled on and uploaded my Cupcake linen scenters onto my Misi shop.  It took ages and while I was doing it, a friend came for coffee and bought two of them.  Yay!  Thanks H!  Now I will have to change some of the images!  That lead me to think about how exactly I wanted to package the cupcakes and keep them safe on their journey to their new homes.  I set about making little boxes, but that proved to be a bit tricky, also I would have to purchase loads of card with which to make said items and that would be expensive.  Pea searched on-line for small boxes, but we couldn't find the right size.  Also, how many different sizes would I need?  And what sizes?  It was all getting a bit complex for a Sunday evening.  I want them to look pretty and loved but at the same time not be too expensive to buy or post.  Boxes, it seemed, were out.  We all sat about for a while, each coming up with new ideas that then got tossed to the rubbish heap as no good.  I was beginning (for the hundredth time) to wonder what on earth I thought I was doing?  For goodness' sake, why didn't I just forget it and get a proper job?  Then I realised I can't actually do anything apart from being a mum and making things, so I have to stick with it.

H2 suddenly said, what about just putting bubble wrap round them?  I didn't fancy that but it set off a little spark in my brain that caught light and began to burn...

H1 and I went to my table and tried two different styles of packaging,



Then we 'posted' them to Pea in her bedroom and she had to open them and decide which she liked best.  Surprisingly, she loved the tissue, brown paper and string option.  She liked the fact that it is all recyclable and looks natural and rustic, which is in-keeping with the products, our life-style and the image I am trying to build for my business.  So there we have it, most if not all Windy Island Handmade creations will be sent out wrapped lovingly in tissue paper, brown paper, string and placed snugly in a padded brown envelope.  You can re-use or re-cycle all of it and be very proud you did!


My head is splitting as though an axe has been buried in it, so it's time for this Lady to have some much needed Leisure time.  Earl Grey, anyone?

Thank you for dropping by my Windy Island, have a lovely day. xxx
P.S  If you want to find my Misi shop, click this link.http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/WindyIslandHM.html   



No comments:

Post a Comment